Thursday, December 19, 2013

Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow - Free Pattern

If you didn't catch the Oh Joy! Patchwork Pillow Free Pattern during the Blogathon you can download it now! Katherine, one of our Blogathon Canada Hosts this year, made this special pillow just for Blogathon Canada and offered the free pattern to everyone who stopped by! She has graciously permitted us to host her free pattern on our blog as well. Many Thanks Katherine!





Here's a little of what Katherine has to say about her Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow

Hi, I'm Katherine and I blog at Sew Me Something Good.  I LOVE fabric, which means that for as long as I can remember, I have always had several sewing projects on the go.  Fabric is endlessly inspiring to me. One look - at any fabric - and my mind starts racing with ideas of what I can make.  ;-) That's what happened  when I went to Sew Sisters Quilt Shop and started exploring the fabrics online, so I could select a bundle to have for my sponsored giveaway on Blogathon Canada.  What fun to immerse myself in all that inspiration!

I had a table-runner design in mind, when a mini charm pack of Aspen Frost first caught my eye. Then I went about collecting fabrics that would compliment the minis.  That's when I realized a pillow would give a wonderful opportunity to combine those minis with hand picked fat quarters (the more fabrics, the merrier!).  I sketched out several different versions, before deciding upon my final design for the  Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow. This often happens when I'm designing, one idea leads to another and another, which is exciting. 

Then comes the tough part - choosing which design to prototype! Keeping the patchwork part of the pillow very simple, I decided it needed something extra, such as applique - but with a little extra flair (blame it on my desire to use as many fabrics as possible in my lifetime ;o).  Two layers of appliqued letters, 3 self-cover buttons, and mock piping for the binding added the flair I was looking for. The combination is just what I envisioned - simple, but eye-catching.  

My hope is that you will enjoy making your own "Oh, Joy!" pillow as much as I enjoyed designing it.

Download the Free Pattern for this gorgeous pillow here: Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow - Free Pattern

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Many thanks for supplying me with the yummy fabric that inspired this design! This was my first time using mini charms and now I'm smitten with them. :o) More designs using minis are now in the works. ;o)