Thursday, June 20, 2013

Meet Jenny Pedigo from Sew Kind of Wonderful

If you haven't tried out the Quick Curve Ruler and Patterns by Jenny Pedigo from Sew Kind of Wonderful you are missing out on the curved piecing party! Jenny's Quick Curve Ruler has made cutting and piecing curved blocks a breeze and with the many patterns she produces you'll never run out of curved piecing projects! We got in touch with Jenny who graciously accepted our invitation to do an interview for our readers. 

Jenny Pedigo

  1. We brought in your Quick Curve Ruler and patterns into our store and we love them! Tell us how you got started. Where did the inspiration for this ruler come from?

    One day I was playing around with a curve shape and realized the endless designs created by a curve but knew I didn't want to create patterns with templates. When the ruler idea came to my head I knew it was something different and possibly something that would make cutting curves easier. I had never sewed curves before and after sewing my first curve, I ended up squaring the curved block up and that's why the Quick Curve Ruler is a square up ruler too.
  2. The Quick Curve Ruler has really made working with curves so much fun! How did you find that perfect, gentle curve? Were there many prototypes before the final ruler? How long did this process take?

    I was actually playing around with the Churn Dash block and was trying to figure out a way to make it different and so I made the rectangles curved and made a 4-block curved Churn Dash quilt, all raw edge appliqu├ęd. (that was before I knew how to piece a curve) Once I realized the curves potential, I started piecing the curve. I tried a few different curves that ended up being too curvy and ended up getting puckers. I realized, the slighter the curve the easier it is to sew and no puckers and that's how I ended up with just the right curve for the Quick Curve Ruler. 
    The Quick Curve Ruler

  3. What was the very first pattern you worked on with the Quick Curve Ruler? Looking back what are some of the big lessons learned?

    My very first published pattern is Urban Escape. I actually didn't have the Ruler at the time I made that quilt. But that was one of my inspirations for coming up with the ruler and creating that curve shape. The first quilt was I think.... Urban Candy. Once I got the first prototype ruler, I was so excited I had like 3 quilts going at one time. I soon realized I needed more grid on the ruler and added that. I also needed the ruler to be wider. Thanks goodness for prototypes!

                                               
  4. What is your design process like?

    After I envision a design in my head, I draw it out on paper. I then break it up into parts and figure out what and where the curve block would be. I then pull out my scrap fabric and play around with the curved block idea.... then after many, many trial and error blocks I figure out something that would work. I don't do anything digitally till it comes to writing the pattern. I'm sure I make it way too hard on myself. But it seems to work for me.

  5. I counted 20 patterns on your Bigcartel site and I see you have more in the works on your blog. You are a mom of 6, including a newborn and have a longarm quilting business. We can't help but wonder - How do you do it? You seem like Super Mom, Super Wife, Super Sister and Super Quilter rolled into one!

    ....well first things first, I have to give a lot of credit to my wonderful husband! He's been such a huge support and continues to help me out with my business, with the house and with the kids! I recently made the decision to stop longarm quilting professionally. It's been such a sad decision to make but really needed. I found that I just don't have enough time to do that and create my own patterns. I really try keep all my quilting/business stuff to a few hours a day. My kids are number one priority and I try to be there for them as much as I can.
  6. When did you begin quilting? I read on your blog that you bought your longarm machine about 6 years ago. But when and how did the quilting bug bite you?

    My sister taught me how to quilt about 10 years ago. I instantly fell in love! My love of quilting expanded to longarm quilting and now designing my own patterns....can't wait for what's next!

  7. When did your sister Helen come on board? Did you guys sew together before you teamed up on the business? What's it like working with your sister?

    My sister from day one has been my other biggest supporter! She was the one I would call when it came to anything I needed a second opinion on. Like I said before, she taught me how to quilt and I've always admired her talent. I always told her she could come aboard anytime and she finally did about 10 months ago. Since we live so far apart from each other, this gives us a reason and an excuse to spend some time together! We talk almost daily about business and new designs we may be thinking of. It's a lot of fun having a partner and she has definitely lightened my work load also!
    Jenny, Helen and Little Ty at Spring Quilt Market

  8. I read in a guest post that you did for Happy Quilting that your daughter is going to be doing longarm work as well! That's exciting! When and how did she get started?

    Well...that's still in the works. I'm going to spend sometime this summer teaching her how. We are going to start off simple. Overall designs and simple pantographs. There are a lot of quilters that just need some simple quilting on a baby or birthday quilt. I hope she LOVES it though and has the desire to do and learn more! I would love to see her be a part of the quilting industry someday and we could maybe work together someday!

  9. You currently have a Quilt Along going on your blog. Tell us a little bit about it. Can quilters still participate or access the material?

    The “Curve it Up” QAL. It just finished up. All the tutorials can be found on my blog still. Helen and I took 12 traditional blocks and using the Quick Curve Ruler, “Curved them up”. It was lots of fun and fun to see other quilters' blocks. We are going to have a “Curve it up” link party soon, that way we can see everyone's quilts. We really want to always have some sort of QAL on our blog using the Ruler. One thing I really wanted when creating the Quick Curve Ruler is to keep the designs coming so no one would ever be disappointed in buying the ruler. Offering free tutorials on my blog I think is a big bonus for those that own the Quick Curve Ruler also!
    Curve it Up Top from the Curve it Up QAL 

  10. What do you have in store for your fans in the near future? Are there new patterns that you can tell us about?

    Many more QAL's with free tutorials! We also have a fun book idea we are trying to get out there. ...and Helen and I were just talking on the phone today about pickles!! The pickle dish! 

Click here to get Jenny's newest Patterns: Metro RingsMetro Hoops, and Metro Waves(All pictures used with permission from Sew Kind of Wonderful)








Giveaway! 


Leave a comment on this post for a chance to win one of Jenny's new patters - Metro Rings or Metro Hoops. Also hop over to our facebook page a leave a comment on the giveaway post there for another chance to win! Winner will be chosen Tuesday morning! 

39 comments:

Jenny said...

I had fun answering your questions, thanks so much!!

Annie Wilkie said...

Stunning quilts, absolutely love the patterns and color choices

pegsplace said...

Well now I need a quick curve ruler and if I don'T win a pattern....will be buying one shortly. Loved the interview!

Regina said...

Lots of interesting and informative info in that interview. I'm "in". If I don't win the drawing, I'm buying the ruler at my LQS where I teach. I think maybe I will "in"sist on one of your patterns to teach in the spring.

Beverly Martin said...

I love to quilt and I am trying different things . The ruler would add to my stash of quilting and give me another project to start.

Jo said...

I love the color choices on the quilts as well. The Urban one with the greys and reds was stunning! It is very motivating... and I need some motivation to try a curve!

Julie Vanderhoek said...

Love the movement and the colours! Such fun! You inspire me to try something new, thank you!

Lisa said...

I've been quilting for many years and love to try new things to keep it fresh. Guess I now have to work on curves with your ruler. Love your new patterns. Hope I win the drawing so I can update my repertoire!!

Patchworks said...

Hi Jenny, Lovely interview. You have accomplished so much in your relatively short quilting career and certainly family support goes a long way to the success of your business Im sure. Congratulations. Love the patterns and have always avoided curved seams as they seem troublesome but... I might be tempted now with new tools.

Crickets Corner said...

I love Jenny, she's so creative and full of energy. The word Superwoman comes to mind. Her quilting is perfection and her designs are so original and exciting. I just bought the Metro Hoops pattern and have the ruler so would love to win the Metro Rings pattern.

SIMPLESEW said...

metro rings.....

Denise Mitchell said...

Love these patterns and love the chance to win one of them! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Debbie Rogowski said...

the patterns are so beautiful I can't decide which I like better. So I'll pick Metro Rings

Kathy said...

Jenny is such a wonderful person and oh so talented! She is a great support to me as we both longarm quilt and I'm very lucky to call her my friend!

Art said...

very nice interview! Love the Metro Hoops pattern!

haddie said...

Great post Love the chance to win one of these patterns I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sallie said...

Metro Rings

BonnieH said...

now I need to head on over to Jenny's blog-bet I'll be there a while!

bvanwe said...

I need to see more of Jenny's patterns as they look very fresh and new. I love curved piecing so this should be fun.

sweetcrunchyjewy said...

Oh, all of these are so gorgeous! Winning a pattern would be all kinds of awesome (although I kinda *really* want to win the ruler!)

WYO Di said...

Ancora Imparo - life long learner! looking forward to learning your curve technique!

Carmen said...

I haven't been brave enough to try curves yet, but these patterns are beautiful!

~Diana said...

Hoops first, then Rings! I just got my ruler and I need a project!

Meg said...

Since my daughter just got married last week, I'd love metro rings. Thanks for the chance!

Heli Kirkpatrick said...

Love Jenny's designs. I already have the quick curve ruler and Urban Pods Pattern, lots of fun. Would love to win another pattern.

Pam said...

love all jenny's patterns but metro hoops is definitely on my long to do list xoxo

Donna Christian said...

I have the ruler!! now need the metro rings to get started!

Cecilia said...

Love your patterns. have done 3 of them. Now I need Rings.

Christal/Ottawa said...

Love your work Jenny... Looking forward to trying out your patterns... keep up the good work.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love her designs and what a great interview.

happymrs said...

I already have your ruler, now I need a pattern! I watched your blog while you worked on Metro Rings, love it, & that's my choice if I am a lucky winner! Love the ruler, want to learn to do more lovely designs with it! Thanks for doing this for us!

Patti said...

I had so much fun doing the QAL, and the QCR is a fantastic tool! As for the pattern, I'd say flip a coin and surprise me! Thanks for the chance.

BaggyQueen said...

I like the Metro Hoops the best. They are all beautiful.

Cecilia said...

I enjoyed reading the interview. I like Metro Hoops just a little more than Metro Rings. :-)

KristaKay said...

I have the QCR and LOVE all of Jenny's patterns.

Maureen said...

I love Jenny's designs! Thanks so much for a chance at the give-away!
mgw070 at shaw dot ca

LeKaQuilt said...

Metro Hoops :o)

Linda Roberts said...

lovely patterns it is hard to choose which one the colors in the patterns are yummy, and makes me think of childhood games of hula hoops and ring toss, Thanks for the patterns and wonderful memories, Love the Metro Hops

Susan Lawson said...

Jenny's quilt designs have been on my radar for quite awhile, Metro Rings is on my bucket list of quilts to do! Love Jenny's patterns and quilting designs!