Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Redwork...in Any Color

As I wrote about earlier, I have been busy working away on the Over the River Quilt. I'm a newbie to redwork (well in this case blackwork) but can't imagine why I didn't do it before. It is as easy as pie to learn, works up quickly and embroidery really adds something special to quilting. I'm loving every second of it. Here are a couple of great clips to get you started. In the first one Pat Sloan shows the basic stem stitch...this is the basic stitch used for redwork.



Next up is the French Knot...this is used for little dots ... useful for eyes, flower buds and other things that are...well small and round! They are fun to do too!



I'm a bit lazy sometimes and don't like to knot off my embroidery all the time. Sometimes when I know the stemstitch is going to dead end I do a laced running stitch...I'm sure that is just wrong but it works for me... there's no video for that one but here are the directions with good pictures: laced running stitch .




If the basics aren't enough for you ...why not register in Cheryl's embroidery class this fall...she'll show you how to do the tricky wicky stitches while making a beautiful sampler from Crab Apple Designs! I'll be taking that class for sure! Here are the Details:


Embroidery Sampler
Date Thursday October 2 and 9th
Time 1 - 4 pm
Teacher Cheryl Smith
Course Length - two half days
Pattern - Kit Required
Fee $40

1 comment:

bingo~bonnie said...

TY, TY, Thank you!! It never occured to me to find "how to's" on youtube... I'm new to redwork and these videos are so helpful!!

I'm so glad you posted them and opened up a whole new door to me!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie