Saturday, September 6, 2008

Interesting Customer...With a Great Find


Near the end of a very busy day today we had a very interesting customer. Adele at Quilter's Palette had sent her our way to find some 1930s reproduction fabrics to repair two quilts. The quilts had been purchased at a garage sale for the princely sum of $1 a piece. What a terrific find she had. The first quilt was most unusual ... I had never seen the pattern before and I would describe it as a hybrid of the Dresden Plate and Wheel of Fortune Blocks. After the kids are asleep I'll get out my copy of the Dictionary of Quilt Names * and see if I can hunt down the name of it. The second quilt was a lovely Sunbonnet Sue with a charming bubblegum pink sashing. Both quilts were clearly from the 1930s and were made from Feedsack fabrics. I was really grateful to get to see such lovely quilts and I'm happy to say we had some suitable fabric for her to use for her repairs! It didn't occur to me at the time to ask to take a picture of them to post here so here's a picture of one of the feedsacks (complete with its original label) from my collection! Maybe we'll get lucky and she will read the blog and comment!
* The Collector's Dictionary of Quilt Names and Patterns is a terrific resource by Yvonne M. Khin. It is definitve resource to 2,400 quilt patterns by category and name with a complete index. Unfortunately it is out of print. A quick google search led me to eBay where they are asking $80.00 for a copy!

2 comments:

Betweens said...

I am so excited!! I didn't realize you had a blog!! what a great way to keep up with what you are up to...I have seen you many times during the quiltshow travels and now am able to see you on site.. now back to catching up.. Deb

Judy said...

Thanks Deb - I'm glad you found us!