Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fundamentals Sew Along - Week 3

Best Press - Caribbean Beach Hi everyone;   Third block done, 49 more to go.  I know this might sound daunting, but really, spend one morning a week  make a block and a year later you will have a beautiful quilt.  This morning in the sew along we discussed the fact  most small sewing groups that get together, work by hand.  And when you work by machine it is more isolating.  To get together with machines and sew and socialize, the block came together in no time. With the buzzing of the machines you really feel productive.  We still have room if you want to join us.  For those of you that are following along online, try a machine get-together with a quilting friend.
 Betweens had a question last week about the size of the block.  It will be 7 1/2"  finished.  There are 50 blocks in the quilt, and you will be making 52. 

We had lots of responses to last weeks question, and I think every 30's color had a mention.  Congratulations LM you are the winner.  Email us to claim your prize.
The tip of the week comes from Gail, one of our sew along members.  She has been using Best Press on all of her fabrics.   It is a starch alternative. I love it for applique but never thought to use it for piecing.  Her blocks are so crisp.  She also said she waters it down a little so it goes farther. I think I will have to try this.
Stonehenge Fundamentals -  Week 3
1930s Fundamentals -  Week 3
I think it is time for another giveaway.  I am still torn about which colourway to do for myself.  I love them both.  I would love to do both of them but I think that is a little over ambitious.  I have decided to let you choose.   The majority rules.  So let us know what your vote is and we will draw for a fat quarter.  Good luck everyone, see you next week.  Jeannie

14 comments:

Anda W said...

I love 30's fabric, however, the stonehenge seems more bold and appealing to the eye!

Dolores said...

I think the Stonehenge Fundamentals is much more striking than the 1930s.

Cathi said...

I vote for the Stonehenge -- there's something about that line that is so irresistible!

Betweens said...

Jeannie I know you would be disappointed if you didn`t get yours made with the stonehedge so I will say what you really wish for Stonehedge. VBG
Looking great! Will you be posting some of the other blocks that the other participants have made

hthnoord said...

Looking at your week 3 blocks I would have to choose the Stonehenge. The other block looks lost, but maybe it will find a companion next week!

Linda R said...

I much prefer the Stonehenge. Love it!

Magnolia said...

I hadn't realized how art deco the Stonehenge looks until now. That would get my vote every time!

felicity said...

Best Press is fabulous to help keep your seams crisp. My piecing improved noticeably when I started using it.

LM said...

I emailed you..thanks!

Golfergranny/Quilting Squeeze said...

I think the stonehenge is more "out there" but there is something very soft looking about the vintage look.... maybe bolder 30's prints would make a difference. I am making mine with all 2 inch strips when possible and will use bright yellow and orange for sashing to get the blocks all the same size in the end

golfergranny/quilting squeeze said...

I also wanted to add... I am not going to use the same fabric twice, except for the sashing.

jelksnitis@rogers.com said...

Knowing you Jeannie, YOU can easily make both quilts. The Stonehenge does have "oomph". The "Thirties" is gentle and quietly happy (and you do love your cottage). So, therefore,.....

Anita E.

Judy said...

The thirties fabric complement the traditional blocks of the sampler quilt.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the stonehenge will look great when finished but it's a bit too bold for me. 1930's for sure
LG from Richmond