Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Project - A Decision Has Been Made!

Alright!  Summer is here and I had to make a hard decision. Each summer I tackle a big project...I guess there is an argument to be made that since my family moved this week that should count as my summer project but I have decided to make a big quilt too!  My goal is to make a king sized postage stamp quilt using my embarassingly large stash of 1930s repros  (I would take a picture and show it to you but my camera is still packed in a box somewhere - I promise to take a picture of it ASAP).

I was seriously considering doing Crab Apple Hill's latest Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage but since I haven't finished the Winter Twitterings quilt yet I didn't think it was such a good idea to take on another big stitchery. 
For years I have been admiring vintage postage stamp quilts and this is the year I am going to make one! 

This one is from http://www.galenfrysinger.com/patchwork_quilts.htm
This one is from http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2008/01/teeny-tiny-pieces.html

This is one currently listed on eBay ...  http://cgi.ebay.com/antique-1800-postage-stamp-quilted-quilt-86-x-96-/230640514520?pt=Quilts&hash=item35b33ef5d8

Well on and on it goes -  I could spend hours looking through Google Images!  I have started cutting up some 1.5 inch squares and so the project is on!  I'll keep blogging my progress through the summer!

11 comments:

KarieAnn said...

Well, good luck to you! I think it sounds crazy, but I will look forward to seeing it when it's done! ;-)
Karen

Judy said...

Crazy is right but I have the whole summer - if at the end of the summer it is only a throw - well so be it but we all need bhags (big hairy audacious goals)!

felicity said...

Wow! Good for you!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh my gosh, 1.5" squares?! I shudder to think how many you would need for a king size quilt!! But the pictures you shared are certainly spectacular, I've never seen a postage stamp quilt before. Can't wait to see yours! Deb

Rachelle said...

Have you chosen a wine to go with your work? I think that should be your next step!

Bonnie said...

I have always wanted to make one so I'll watch your progress and maybe I'll be inspired.

Dolores said...

Good luck with that. I hope you don't get bored.

Samantha said...

Very cool! I can't wait to see the pictures.

pwl said...

King-sized? From 1-1/2" squares? Wow! And I think *I'm* nuts making small quilts from 2" squares. :-)

Janet said...

Good for you. Is it scrappy or 2 colour. Will be anxious to see the progress. Hope you have an accui machine for cutting. If not keep track of the number of blades.

thecuriousquilter said...

How is your progress going? Join the 2012 Postage Stamp Quilt Swap and Challenge fun and see what others are making too! I LOVE postage stamp quilts!

I have made six PSQ bed quilts, using 2 inch squares. I will make more.

- Mary