Saturday, July 30, 2011

Summer Project Update - A Design Crisis

 Well the Magpie has had me chopping squares like crazy and my bowl is really getting full...I it is time to start sticking the squares down!  I have no idea how many are in the bowl ... but in the thousands for sure!  I know it looks like a standard mixing bowl but it is huge...14" diameter...you have to compare it to your own mixing bowls to get the gist of how big that really is!
In the beginning there were only a few squares...


The bowl filled slowly but steadily...

The bowl is nearly full...how many squares do you think it contains? 

In anticipation of starting the ironing stage -  we came to the conclusion that doing it on point would just be too complicated for a king sized quilt  (the issue is seaming huge panels together).  My plan is to make 4 90 inch by 90 inch panels - then sew them which will reduce them to 60 by 60 and then sew those 4 together which will give me a 120 x 120 king sized quilt (don't worry I'll do step by step photos when I get to that!).  If I do it on point the joins would have to be diagonal and I think it is just too big to try something like that!  

Maybe next week we'll photograph Magpie's project too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great project and fabulous bowl!

naturalgrrl said...

You've piqued my curiosity ... looking forward to the next progress update!
What's the plan for putting them together?

magpie said...

Say what? The Magpie says don't get distracted, just keep filling that bowl!!