Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fundamentals Sew Along - Week 14

Hi Everyone:

    I can't believe we are at block 14 already!  Before you know it we will be half way there. Before we get started I wanted to give a shout out to our  long distance sew along members.  Linda from Richmond B. C. was in town and dropped by.  It is always nice to put a face to the names of our customers.

    The block that we will be working on is called See Saw.  This week I thought I would talk about half square triangles and quarter square triangles.  I know some of you might be thinking a triangle is is triangle! But really the difference between the two is where the bias seam falls.  If you cut your squares in half the bias will run along the base of your triangle.  If you cut your squares into quarters the bias will be on the sides.  Because there is more stretch on the bias you need to be careful where it is on the block.  Preferably not on the exterior seam as this can cause distortion.

Quarter Square Triangles and Half Square Triangles

In the example below I think I cut some quarter square triangles and some half square triangles of the background color, don't ask me why?  The half square triangles were very difficult to piece.   I had to do a lot of pinning  to control the stretch of the bias in the fabric when piecing the rows together.  That was a lesson learned.


 
See Saw Block
This is the finished block. Well Magnolia, this is your lucky week. You are the winner of the fat quarter draw. Email us to claim your prize. Happy stitching everyone, see you next week. Jeannie

 

No comments: