Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fundamentals Sew Along - Week 17

 Hi Everyone:

I promised no flying geese this week and I am keeping my promise.  There is so much going on in the store right now, with expanding the store and moving the warehouse down the hall.  I wasn't sure where I was going to sew today.  As it turns out, the old classroom is still there but the design wall is gone.  The computer has moved to the new warehouse.  So there is a lot of running up and down the hall this week.  It's all very exciting!

This weeks block is called Farmer's Daughter.  This is a great block to chain piece.  To start off I chain piece all of the triangle segments, pressing them and clipping the corners.  Then I lay them out according to the diagram that you received in your pattern.  Be careful when you place your half square triangle blocks as it is really easy to flip them in the wrong direction  (see photo below).

Mistake in the Layout

 
Once you have the block laid out, remove the 4 rectangles and the square that resembles a cross in the block.  What I do now is chain piece these four units.  You will now have a string of 8 pieces.  Instead of clipping every one apart, you clip every other one.   You should have the 2 that are to be joined.  Just press and then join them together.  It is much faster than clipping every one and getting them all mixed up.

Two Segments Chain Pieced Ready to be Assembled
 
Clip Every Other Block

Farmer's Daughter Block


Once you have the 4 corner units assembled you can re-insert the square and rectangles and piece the rest of the block.

Another pretty block done. I look forward to seeing you next week and I will be working in the new classroom woo hoo!See you next week.

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

What are the names of the fabrics used in the 1930's? I love them.

Carol said...

Hi Magnolia. The names are:

Floursack - Little Posies Yellow
You can get it here:
http://store.sew-sisters.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=807&page_id=23&Item_ID=6853
and Floursack - Flowers on Green
You can buy it online here:
http://store.sew-sisters.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=807&page_id=23&Item_ID=7325