Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fundamentals Sew Along - Week 20

Hi Everyone:

   How is everyone doing?  I hope you are having a good week.  Are you keeping up with your weekly blocks?  I really look forward to Wednesdays as  it is the one day of the week that I am guaranteed to be able to sew.

This week's block is called "The Spinner".  It reminds me of those little plastic windmills that I used to get as a child.  When it comes to assembly, I chain pieced all of the triangles into squares.  If you want to use Thangles, this is your opportunity.  The next step is to layout and piece  the pinwheels.


Layout Pinwheels


  When it comes to piecing all of these squares together, it is very easy to get things mixed up.  Everyone has their own method  of keeping things straight.  I thought I would share mine.  After laying out these pinwheels, my solution is to very carefully put the squares onto my 6" X 24" ruler  and transport them to my machine in the order that I need to sew them together.  If it is necessary to have the whole block laid out I use my big 16" square ruler.  A tray would do.


Block Layout Using a |Ruler or Tray
Once you have your pinwheels assembled,  lay them out again inserting the square and the rectangles.


The Spinner

This is the finished block.  The triangles might look a little wonky, but once they are pieced to the next block when we assemble the quilt, the pinwheels will all look the same.  Take care everyone, happy stitching!

No comments: