Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fundamentals sew along - week 6

Hi Everyone,
I hope everyone had a great week with lots of time to sew.  I still haven't had time to start my stonehenge blocks, but I am sure you will agree that the blocks for the store look great.  Maybe this week I will be able to carve out a little time to do this.

This week's block was a lot of fun.  It is a very easy way of constructing star blocks.  The process is the same as last week.  Putting a small square in the corner of a larger square and sewing diagonally across creating a triangle.  Don't worry Magnolia, you are not  geometrically challenged.

Mark sewing line diagonally across square from corner to corner

The diagram above should help.  If you want another short cut, you could press your squares diagonally turning them into triangles.  Then open them up and use your crease as your sewing line.  Once you have pieced your triangles onto your rectangle you have a choice.  You can either cut away the seam allowance,  or leave it in and just press in place.  It will be a little bit bulkier if you leave it in but if you are not hand quilting through it I wouldn't worry. I find there is less distortion this way.

Seam allowance cut away
The back of the block with seam allowance left in.

What not to do
Can you see the mistake that I made? Oh well, it happens to all of us.
Dandy Star Block
This is what the finished blocks look like. I look forward to your comments on the blocks so far.  
Bye for now.  
Jeannie

5 comments:

Magnolia said...

I am really enjoying doing these blocks. They do go together quickly even when doing them by hand. I am just starting block 5 (I joined late) and I am worried about messing up because I am used to templates. The Stonehenge colours are interesting to work with. My daughter takes ballet in an historical building, and every time the elevator doors open, I smile because the colours are almost identical to block one. I have changed the colour scheme a bit for myself. Afraid that it would seem too dark, I am using some blue that I had bought for another quilt. I just put it anywhere it works well.

Anita E. said...

The 30's blocks are just so innocent and pretty that I really want to include all of my own stash also. Jeannie, your instructions in class and then online are very clear and helpful. I am painlessly, eagerly working "towards the greater good", i.e. the spectacular fifty block quilt.

Anita E. said...

The 30's blocks are so innocent and pretty that I want to include all of my stash also. Jeannie, your instructions in class and then online are very clear and helpful. I am painlessly and eagerly working "towards the greater good", i.e. the spectacular fifty block (plus) quilt.

Magnolia said...

I found the slight drawback for hand quilters. There are so many sewing lines to draw. It is difficult to get an accurate diagonal line across the larger piece.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, can you give a hint? I looked and looked and can't figure out what is the problem? Maybe I keep making the same mistake as well but don't know it? Is it a common cutting or sewing mistake? ... looks good to me ...