Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fundamentals Sew Along - Week 7

Hi Everyone!  Today we had our 7th sew along at the store. In answer to last week's question, Anonymous said he/she couldn't find the mistake.  It wasn't easy to spot, but if you look closely at the second picture I talk about the square sewn, trimmed and pressed in place.  Then sew the second  square in the same fashion.  My mistake was, that I sewed and trimmed the square but didn't flip it and press before I added the second square.  Unfortunately, reverse sewing was the only answer.

The creative juices are really starting to flow in the group.  I know there are only two versions of this quilt to pick from, but I bet there will be numerous versions when we are all finished.  Anita is putting her own spin on this project.  She is putting in some of her own 30's fabrics,  as well as collecting some reds and black 30's prints that she wants to include.  These are some of her blocks.  Aren't they beautiful?

Anita's Blocks
I know Magnolia you are concerned about the stonehenge colours being too dark.  Don't worry.  I like your  idea of adding in some blue.  I would love to see your blocks.  Today's block pattern could be changed a little if you wanted.  I have posted some pictures (below) of an idea that I thought might look good.  Don't be afraid of changing things up a little.

Snowball Block variation
Instead of putting all brown triangles in the cream square I thought I might change it up a little.  What do you think?  Do you like this version or the finished version below?

Snowball Block
Another tip, for those of you who are working by hand.  When marking your pieces, put a piece of fine sand paper under you work.  It will help to keep thinks from slipping. 

We've started a Flickr group for the Fundamentals Sew Along so you can post pictures of your finished blocks on the Flickr Pool! Wouldn't it be great to see how everyone's blocks turned out? Add your photo of your blocks to the group here. 
Happy sewing everyone,  I look forward to seeing you all next week. 

Jeannie

No comments: